Indicators of Yosemite Excessive Memory Usage in OS X
- Errors indicate “Out of Memory”: System starts showing warning that mentions an application or a system is running out of memory.
- Unused program termination: OS X may terminate the applications which are open in background which are not in use. OS X shut them down to free up memory for other applications.
- Force-Quit window:
- When system does not have resources or is low on resources, system will display “Force-Quit window”.
- This window will display the system is out of memory and also show applications in paused state.
- In the Force-Quit Window, all paused and not responding processes or applications will appear in red.
- It will not mention the users about the applications taking more space. For this, user needs “Activity Monitor Utility” that will list applications by memory usage.
- It also displays the applications that are taking excessive space in system’s memory. User can select these applications and forcefully shut them down.
How to Overcome a Yosemite Excessive Memory Usage in OSX?
- Firstly remove all external or secondary devices from Mac including hard drives, scanners, screens, etc.
- Shut down the system and put the system in safe mode by pressing shift key when turning on the system again
- When entered in safe mode, open Disk Utility and go to the Finder > Applications > Utilities, highlight your Macintosh HD partition on the left, and click “Repair Disk Permissions"
- After repairing the disk permission, shutdown the system again in safe mode
- Reset System Management Controller by following given below steps:
- Shut down the computer
- Unplug the computer's power cord and all external device or peripherals
- Wait for 15 seconds
- Attach the computers power cable
- Wait for another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer
- After resetting the SMC, reboot the Mac
- Turn it off again
- Reset the PRAM
- Turn off the system.
- Find these four keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. User needs to collectively hold down these keys in step 4
- Turn on the computer
- Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys simultaneously
- Hold the keys down until the computer restarts
- Release the keys
By following the above mentioned procedure user can fix the issue related to Mac OS X Yosemite high memory usage. It can free up the space occupied by applications in Yosemite OS X and speed up the processing of the system.